Thursday, March 22, 2007

Zoo vs. Pet Store

Pet stores are one of the most joyous places on earth (as long as the animals are well cared-for). You can enter without paying a fee and spend hours observing some of the most fascinating creatures on earth. Zoos, likewise, are fun to visit, but there is usually a long line to wait in (on the nice days), and you must pay to gain entrance. Some would argue that the scope of animal life represented at a zoo is more interesting than that of a pet store, but I am not sure I would agree.
-

Pet stores give you the option of purchasing the cute puppy or kitten that has captured your heart. Zoos will not allow you to purchase that adorable newborn reticulated giraffe with the carefree cowlick of fur on its head, though. No matter how much you beg, wail at or cry for the zoologist, they will not cave into your anthropoid tantrum.
-
Now, one may argue that visiting a pet store may be more expensive because one may purchase any animal in sight. I would refute with the simple fact that any expenditures made would only increase the payer’s joy because it would be rewarded with a real creature to call “Fluffy” or “Socks” each subsequent day. At the zoo, you are only tempted to take that six-foot-long Chinese alligator home – your desires cannot become a reality.

1 comment:

Scrambled Dregs said...

This is my favorite post.

I love it. Now, find me a pet store that has giraffes and I'll be one happy lady. Until I have to clean up after one, that is.