Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Eritu’s Defeat Part 3 - Death

Eritu had been waiting several minutes for the King’s reply, but there was no reply. The King simply looked at him as though he were reading his mind. Then the King answered.
-

“I do not wish you to worship my goodness, just worship me, as my slave, and enjoy all that I will give you.”
-

“Yes, I am your slave King Leukos.”
-

The King snapped back “Do not call me by that name; that is simply your tribe’s interpretation of me, a derivative of my name when I was a mere slave. I am now your King, and my name is not of any concern.”
-

“Forgive me, Master.”
-

Several moments passed now and Eritu continued to wonder where he could provide all that was necessary to worship this King. He kept thinking to the thing he had realized since meeting the King. Worship is more than just surrender. Is being this King’s slave adequate worship? No. He would have to do more. He wondered if the King realized his thoughts. He looked in the King’s eyes, which were still fixed on him. The King spoke again.
-

“Now, what do you desire?”
-

“I told you, my King, I desire to worship you.”
-

“No. To worship me, you must begin to worship yourself, for you are like me. You are my slave. I will give you all of your desires, and your enjoyment is your act of worship to me.”
-

Eritu though about what he wanted. “I am hungry.”
-

“You will have food.” Suddenly a banquet filled the room. Every sort of food Eritu loved was there, and he was happy. Several things happened from this point. The King gave Eritu more and more of his desires and after several months of this Eritu truly did begin worshipping himself and the King. Worship is more than just surrender. Eritu was surrendered, and the King’s slave. What more could worship be?
-

Eritu was just a young warrior when he had met the King. He never again saw war and never heard of the results of the war he had fled. He had now lived with the King for over thirty years, and Eritu had begun to feel the effects of old age. He was weaker than ever before, for he never had to work. He was given whatever he needed. And he had forgotten his question about worship. Then one day, the question was brought back to him by the King.
-

“I have been giving you all you need and you are worshipping me well, slave. Do you want to finish your act of worship?”
-

“Yes, Oh great King!” Eritu had loved the King for a long time now, and was eager to do his will.
-

“Then you must die. Take this knife and end your life.”
-

Eritu did not hesitate for he was on the King’s opium: incessant mindset of adoration. He took the knife and stabbed himself beneath the ribcage and up into his heart and lungs. It stung him and he winced, but he was doing the King’s will, and that was enough. He slowly drifted from the invisible palace he knew as home. Then he saw darkness. Eritu felt alone and hopeless. He was alone in this cold place. Eritu had worshipped the King of this world, and he was now a part of his kingdom forever.

1 comment:

Scrambled Dregs said...

Sad. But something to think about.