Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Dependence and Physics

I am in a physical science class this semester, so I am learning a lot about physics and the laws that govern our universe. In high school I did rather poorly in my physics class and passed the course with a ‘C’ average. I was just glad to be done with the mathematics of that branch of science. I still loved science, though. This semester was a hard one to begin. As always, I was excited to begin a class that dealt with science. Then the math hit me and I began to struggle.
-
At that point I started to pray that God would help me to understand it all. So did my wife and my mother-in-law (an avid prayer warrior). Prayer had a curious effect upon my ability to grasp the math. I actually began to understand it! That being said, I am now interested in the reasons I began to understand the math of physics. Was it an attitude change, did something just click, or was it God being faithful by helping me in this challenging situation? I think it was the latter of the three. God actually helped me to get it.
-

My wife and my mother-in-law have a classic line whenever something is bothering me or becoming an issue: “Did you pray yet?” I hate it when my wife brings up prayer, it makes me feel so dependant. Wait a minute…doesn’t God want us to see that we are completely dependant on Him? Yes. My wife gets it. I still don’t, most of the time. Yet God is faithful to us in spite of our false sense of independence. And looking back at physics, I can see something incredible: where did the laws of the universe come from? The Lawgiver: God Himself. How do I exist and where is my dependence? God.

2 comments:

Molly and Delanie said...

Dependency. That's so hard sometimes. I'm glad that you are understanding you math better! That's awesome! Keep going!

Scrambled Dregs said...

Wow. I should have prayed when I borrowed your 8th grade Algebra book to help me understand x-ray math.

Sigh.