Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I Love Capsaicin

I would like to continue the discussion about food that I began on Monday. Spicy foods also trip my trigger. One of the greatest food products ever conceived is hot pepper sauce. The pepper sauce of choice is, of course, Tabasco brand. There are no foods that do not benefit from an extra blast of spicy ground pepper and vinegar (the main ingredients of pepper sauces). There is actually a physiological benefit associated with the use of spicy foods products in one’s diet.
-
Capsaicin is the molecule that makes spicy foods taste and feel hot. There are some related molecules, like the menthol found in mint, that affect the nerves in similar ways. The interesting thing about capsaicin is that it does not actually burn the tissues, but it rather affects the nerves in a way that heat does. Therefore, capsaicin chemically induces the sensation of burning without causing any real damage (it is possible to become poisoned by an excessive consumption of capsaicin, though, but it has nothing to do with the ‘heat’ of it).
-
The physiological benefit: the capsaicin molecule has been shown to fight and even prevent some types of cancer. The chemical can also stimulate nerves in ways that cause the body to ‘ignore’ other pain signals (so, drink some hot sauce when you have a backache – or, better yet, apply it directly to your back until it starts to burn, then wipe it off). I would call myself a pepper enthusiast, and I even have several family members who are constantly searching for new products to ‘burn’ my palate. There are actually quite a few ‘hot food’ fans in the world; this is probably because of another side effect of capsaicin: a euphoric sensation. Commonly called a ‘capsaicin high,’ theories indicate that the body releases endorphins (feel-good pain-killing polypeptides) in response to the ‘pain’ elicited by capsaicin, causing a temporary euphoric sensation. Thank you Mr. McIlhenny!

3 comments:

Scrambled Dregs said...

and I always thought capsaicin was a monkey!!!!

jk

Kristi Herbranson said...

You learn something new everyday... Today, my new thing came from you!!

Scrambled Dregs said...

I tagging you. You have to go to Scrambled Dregs and read my May 8th post. Then you need to follow the directions. : ) Really, it'll be fun.