Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Gravity of a Situation

(I wrote this short story with some physics math in it to review for a physical science test I have today. I thought it was a fun idea, and I hope you enjoy it.)
-
Rick woke up with a splitting headache. As his eyes began to work, he noticed that he was in a metallic room. Panels of metal, riveted together, surrounded him above, below and on all sides. There was a window framed into the metal wall opposite him, a breeze was blowing through. Surrounding him were several seemingly unrelated objects: a scale, hairbrush, tarp, towel, bathtub, stopwatch, some slippers, a Geiger counter, pencil, basketball, and calculator. He thought out loud “Where on Earth am I?” Then he noticed a metal plate with red letters on it, written was:

“Captain!!!” Rick screamed. As his breath left his lungs in this scream, he noticed something very odd. He felt light…very light. He felt like he could jump higher than ever before. So he tried. The ceiling of this strange metallic room was about 15 feet, he estimated, from the floor. He jumped, and made it approximately 5 feet off the ground. MARS PROBE IV. “I must be on Mars.” He began putting the pieces together, “I am a captain with NASA. And it is the year 2025!” Rick thought, why do I not know any of this? “That explains the headache!” Rick began laughing giddily. “And the O2 must be getting low, because I sure am out of it!” Rick slapped himself. He needed to stay conscious and find oxygen.
-
The Captain went to the window and looked down. There was a surface with three doors and some cylinders below. He had to strain to see the floor though, the lighting was poor and it was a long drop. I wonder how far that is. Suddenly, an equation came to mind:

“How can I remember scientific equations, but not remember where I am or what I am doing?” Rick thought for a moment, and then began working to figure how far of a drop he would experience in order to get to the surface below. He needed to know the acceleration of gravity on Mars and the time it takes an object to fall the distance. His initial velocity would be zero. Rick grabbed the hairbrush and the stopwatch and proceeded to measure the time it took the hairbrush to hit the surface below. POUNG! The brush hit hard. He read the stopwatch after stopping it when he saw the brush hit bottom: “5.23 seconds.”
-
“Now, how strong is the gravity on Mars?” The captain weighed himself on the scale lying on the floor. “Here, I weigh 84 lbs. I think (if I remember correctly) I weighed about 220 lbs. on Earth.” Rick fidgeted with the calculator “84 divided by 220 equals point three eight, 38 percent! So the gravity on Mars is 38% that of Earth, which is 9.80 meters per second squared.” The calculator figured the math for Rick: “Downward acceleration here on Mars is 3.72 meters per second squared.” Rick wasted no time writing out the equation with the pencil he had found on the metal floor:
He then worked the equation into the calculator: d=50.88m. “51 meters, well.” Rick thought again. Would a jump that far kill him at his weight and acceleration? He needed oxygen.
-

Rick stood on the edge of the window and jumped spread-eagle to get as much air resistance as possible. He hit with a bone-crunching thud. He looked up and saw on the metal floor before him several cylinders marked “O2.” Rick barely moved. The pain was so great that it caused his headache to seem pleasurable. He looked up further, propping himself on his bruised arms. He saw that one of the doors was not a door, but a porthole. He could see the Martian landscape, red sand blowing at an odd angle to himself. Rick gathered his thoughts and then spoke “It would seem my spacecraft has crashed, and now I have some oxygen before me, but these broken bones will prove to be a problem. Maybe I should have used the tarp for a parachute. Just my luck.”

1 comment:

Scrambled Dregs said...

This story makes me sad. Poor Captain Rick.

The mathematical calculations just gave me a headache.