Monday, February 12, 2007

The Frog Kid

You may be wondering about the picture that I chose to represent this blog. The picture is of me when I was about 6 years old. In it I am focusing all of my inquisitive attention on a small American toad (Bufo americanus), which a relative is holding for my inspection. I am fortunate to have had a family member snap a picture at this moment because it has shaped my life. Beginning at that meeting, I fell in love with the incredible world of nature and, specifically, the reptiles and amphibians that live within it. During my junior high and high school years, I was labeled “The Frog Kid” by my peers. And, I was proud of such a title.
-
For a long time my career goal was to become a herpetologist (a scientist that works with reptiles and amphibians). I even started down the road towards a career in zoology through a volunteer program at a local zoo. But dreams seem to be the hardest things to attain in reality and, when I decided to go to college, I abandoned herpetology to study something more fiscally responsible. I am now just one year from graduating with a secondary education certificate in English. Is it a loss? Not completely; I love teaching, literature and language. I look forward to teaching, but I sometimes sit alone, in a quiet place and ask “Where has that boy gone?” “Why did I give up my dream to study some of God’s most incredible creations?”
-
Yes, college happened, and then my wife came into the picture. The truth is that, through all of this, the boy whose heart beat in tempo with the frogs’ singing was still there. And, slowly, the childish dreams I had buried were being dug up by my wife and those who love me. No force of will could ever cause me to give up the financial security I could give my wife or future children if I just did what is normal. But few things are stronger than my wife’s love – and she is drawing that child back out with her love. Ironic? Yes. She, whom I planned to protect with a “wise” career choice, is causing me to remember my heart buried in a career that is not about money, but about joy. I will find joy in teaching, but perhaps, someday again, I will descend into a swamp for the sake of the most joyous career: herpetology.
-

1 comment:

Scrambled Dregs said...

Excellent tribute to your wife.

And an interesting theological quandry. Maybe the things we love, that sing to us, are the things God plants in our hearts for a reason.

I don't think that your years of studying language is a waste, they can only enhance your herptile heart.